Saturday, June 28, 2008

say what?

Yesterday I went downtown to our church art gallery/office to meet one of our June artists and her friend. They had just arrived and I was propping the door open when this character stopped, leaned against the door frame, and started talking.

He started talking making wax out of outdated beer and making the forms of women, like mannequins, and that they were on playboy/penthouse covers. He made them DOWN in Gary (if you're geographically challenged - Gary is north of Indy, close to Chicago). First he said he left them down in Gary .... then he said he left them at an art gallery at Washington/Sherman Streets (Indy) and was wondering if they were still here or if a gallery could help him find them.....

He went on to tell me that the wax (made out of outdated beer) turns into wood.... but also if you melt it down and put it in a swimming pool with chlorine in it - it turns into that material that you make field jackets out of for schools..... and then when the field jackets wear out you can make something else - but I couldn't understand what he was saying then.

I listened to him for at least 10 minutes and finally convinced him that I didn't know where his mannequins are and he went on his way.

He was wearing a T-shirt from Wheeler Mission - the local homeless shelter. He didn't ask for money or food, I think he just wanted someone to listen to his story. I listened, and didn't laugh while he was telling it. Later, I laughed - not at him, but his implausible story. A few years ago I spent my days at a state psychiatric facility and my nights at a comedy club. I know when it's appropriate to laugh and at what you should be laughing.

No comments: