Tuesday, July 8, 2008

ugandan orphans choir, pt 2





The Ugandan Orphans Choir performed songs and dances and played homemade musical instruments for our service on Sunday. They also learned and sang "I Am Free" with our band to close the service. They are full of energy - I was tired just watching them dance!


They also performed on the Circle on Saturday. It was nice to see people take time to stop and enjoy watching the kids - they amassed quite a crowd.

The bottom photo shows the beautiful theatre we rent for Sunday service. The building was built in the late 1800s and (from what I can find) renovated in the early 1990s. The theatre hosts 6-8 productions a year. The current set on stage is from "Swing!" - which is as high energy as the Orphans Choir!

Sometimes the stage set works well for us and we use it - for others, if possible, we drop the curtains. We weren't able to drop the curtain during the production of Elvis songs last year. That set was 3 or 4 bedrooms, a residential hotel desk, and I think a living room and park setting. One bedroom and something else occupied the side stages.

My first Sunday there was during "The Full Monty".... on the outside of the building was the bigger-than-lifesize banner promoting the production. It was rather strange going to church and seeing banners/posters of male strippers with strategically placed hats....

The stage is gorgeous during November/December for the Christmas production. Last year I was tempted to have my parents/brother & his family skip their churches one Sunday and go with me - just so we could take a family picture. Maybe we'll do that this year. It's going to be a Country Christmas - and I'm sure Rodney will outdo himself with the set.

No comments: