Tuesday, July 15, 2008

my camera's in the hospital

so..... thankfully the night before my brother's wedding I decided to go to the ApologetiX concert - even though I didn't really have time. After about 250-300 pictures..... my camera went into shutter failure. click-click-click-click........

Had I not gone to the concert - that failure would have most likely happened DURING the wedding on Saturday.

Earlier in the week I had decided to ask a friend from my photography meetup if he would be willing to come help me for a few hours with the wedding pictures (with pay). He agreed - then Thursday night, he sent an email telling me he hadn't realized earlier that he was going to be in Cincinnati on Saturday. He offered to let me borrow his flash so I could use two for the pictures. I picked it up on Friday.

Then Friday night after my camera started going crazy I called him to see if he had ever had any experience with this particular problem. He offered to loan me his camera for the wedding.

Looking back ... God had it all worked out.... I decided to ask someone to help, he ended up not being able to but he loaned me his camera.

I shipped the camera off to my friend at Murphy's Camera in Lexington yesterday. He will ship it to Canon today. I've bought all of my equipment from him for 20 years, even after I moved from Kentucky to California.... and now that I'm in Indiana. I haven't stepped foot in the store in 8 years or more - UPS does a great job of delivering equipment if needed.

Sure, sometimes I might be able to save a few dollars by going to Sam's, Costco, or sales at other stores.... but if I have a photography or equipment related question - can I call Sam's or Costco???? or even your big-box electronics stores??? No, but people will call camera stores to get expert information then go to other stores to make their purchases. I prefer to buy from the same place where I get my questions answered. If someone doesn't - those stores will go away and we'll have people who don't know the equipment or what it can do selling it to us.

No comments: